Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Great Grandma's Tea



Great Grandma Jewell was a beautiful woman. Strong. Independent.
She had a heart that you don't find very often these days. Great Grandma Jewell lived in California, and I grew up here in Indiana, so I never really got to know her that well. We had phone conversations that brought us together, or as together as we could be. I was able to visit her twice in my life. Once right after I graduated H.S. in 2002 and once in 2007, when she turned 90 years old. I was so thrilled to sit by her side, and listen to her talk. I didn't care that she had Alzheimer's, and usually asked the same questions several times, I felt a strange connection to her. A woman I hardly know, but her blood runs through my veins. She is the woman I was named after. She is the Mother of the Mother of my Mother. My Great Grandmother went through so much in her 92 years. She was a wife, a Mother of 3, a Grandmother, and a Great Grandmother. She went through jobs, then owned a business. At the end of her life, she was living in her own home, with her two loves (chihuahuas) and her son.
A couple weeks ago, I stayed with my Grandmother. She sat me down and told me, did not ask me, to take the Silver Tea set. When my Grandmother explained to me that this was Great Grandmas Tea set, I did not argue. I have in my house a piece of her now. I beautiful set that I can show off, and a pass down to my children some day. I am blessed to have known her. Even if I didn't know her well, she is my Great Grandmother. I love her. I miss her.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I bet she's looking down thinking it looks great!

    ReplyDelete